Sign up for my newsletter

Friday 28 February 2014

Baby issues and bad admin?

I went for a scan last week for the baby. In IVF pregnancies in the uk, you get 4 scans instead of the normal 2. This was my third.
The babys mother came by train to see baby Frankie.
Well the scan went fine. Baby is fine, perfectly healthy
Phew...
But...
There is a problem with the cord. The blood flow is intermittent.
"So, What does that mean?" we asked.
If it stays the same, we have to scan once a week until the baby is born. If it gets better, then we carry on as normal. If it gets worse we may have to deliver.
I am 29 weeks pregnant.


I know someone who delivered a perfectly healthy girl last year at 29 weeks. She turned out to be completely fine. She is thriving now. I looked up the stats for babies born at 29 weeks and discovered that 98% are born healthy (but obviously small) Technology is wonderful.
Needless to say, knowing this, put my mind at ease that even in the worst case scenario, little Frankie had a very good chance of being ok.
The mother, understandably was terrified. I told her that he was very strong. I could feel him kicking all the time. I did everything I could to put her mind at ease.
We went back for the next weeks scan. The sonographer scanned.
"There's nothing wrong at all. They made a mistake." he said
Phew!
But...
At the clinic after the scan we were told that the sonographer that day had scanned the wrong thing and wasn't qualified to scan for the right thing. Please bear in mind that this was done at a proper hospital. We had our notes with us. How is it possible to scan for the wrong thing?
We were told to come back the next day for yet another scan.
Which we did.
Before I'd even got up on the table and had my belly covered in that horrible goop stuff, The sonographer (a different one this time) said
"There's nothing wrong."
She scanned us anyway.
In the space of ten days, we had been given 3 scans and been told
There's something wrong,
There's nothing wrong, it was a mistake,
There is something wrong possibly but didn't scan the right thing,
There's nothing wrong, we just reported it wrong.


Now, to me it was just an inconveniance but can you imagine how Frankies mother felt? After years of heartbreak trying to concieve, ivf failure, miscarriage.


At least the story has a happy ending (not that we are at the end yet) Baby Frankie is still kicking away and the mother has got so many scan pictures, she could wallpaper the house with them!


I hope your week was better
Love J

No comments:

Post a Comment