Sign up for my newsletter

Monday 17 February 2014

Surrogacy

Ok, well I did promise.


Surrogacy is still a relatively rare thing. For example, I got an email from a surrogacy website recently saying they had a record number of surrogate births this year. The number? If i remember rightly, it was 25. Not many in a year and that was a record!
I've never met another surrogate so I can't tell you why I wanted to do it. i think the real reason was that I've been lucky enough to have children of my own. They bring so much to my life. I can't imagine being without them. I know how lucky I am. I also know there are others not so fortunate.
Mothers aren't made when someone gets pregnant, some people are born mothers. Others have children and don't have a maternal bone in their body.
The baby, I'm currently pregnant with has a wonderful mother. she's a mother through and through but her body will not allow her to get pregnant. we have become great friends over the last couple of years. She is grateful to me for carrying her child and I enjoy spending time with her.
We went for a scan today. Baby was totally healthy but there was a problem with the cord. Nothing major but they have to scan me again next week. The doctor seemed unconcerned but the babys mum was so upset. It must be such a worry to her, not being around her child (she lives a long way away from me) I tried to calm her as much as possible. Baby has been kicking like a trooper. I guess we will find out next week if they will need to deliver early. I'm not worried at all as the doctor said it was only a precaution. I know I will have to text babys mum a lot this week to keep her mind at ease.


I've had a lot of strange questions since become pregnant as a surrogate. I'll answer the most common now.
1) won't you want to keep the baby?
-Nope - done enough nappies already thanks!
2) Did you have sex with the father?
-Nope. IVF baby. It's not even biologically mine!
3) How much are you getting paid?
- In the UK, it's illegal to be paid for being a surrogate. I get expenses.
4) Will you be a surrogate for me?
- No. Sorry! This is a one time only adventure. I've loved doing it but I'm seriously looking forward to going on a lot of rollercoasters this summer - You can't do that whilst being pregnant!


Although Anais' situation is very different to mine, she goes through a similar thing in Endless Winter. Read about how she gets on.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HOIHR2K


Love J

No comments:

Post a Comment