Sign up for my newsletter

Wednesday 15 January 2014

Appealling to Da Kidz

Promoting a book is an interesting (and difficult) thing.
I've been told to promote to my target market. Of course, this makes sense, however, my target market is young adults. It's been a very long time since I could call myself young. If I'm going to be honest - I'm a harrassed middle aged single mother (I'm totally keeping it real!)
I don't want to patronise anyone and pretend that I (or you) care about what Justin Bieber got up to last week or who Miley Cyrus is dating.
I honestly don't care, nor do I care for the word "Twerking" Yuck!
So what should I talk about to appeal to a seventeen year old girl?
I work in a high school, so I should be able to get some clues there.
Mmm
Well I did get told I look like Dave Grohl last week by one of my students (I don't btw)
Now, Dave Grohl, I know who he is! With the same student I had a rather long conversation about how much we both loved Tenacious D. (a lot)
I'm going to be honest now. My favourite singer is Tori Amos. Tell an average high school student this and they go "who?"
The thing is, Tori Amos is Amazing. I love her. I don't want to pretend I don't even if this makes me ancient in the eyes of the average teen.
Maybe instead of calling me old, you should look on youtube and listen to one of her songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment