Sign up for my newsletter

Tuesday 21 January 2014

From A to B via XY and Z

So how did I come up with the story of Endless Winter?
That is a story in itself!

It all started when I was unhappy at my last job (I worked in a school.) I applied and got a job in another school (Which I love!)

There was a leaving party which involved lots of chatting to various work colleagues, mainly about their plans for the long summer holidays which were just about to begin. One of the teachers I worked with mentioned that she was going to New York and had won the holiday in a competition. she told me that she won many competitions, made it sound really easy.

Well, I thought to myself. I could do with a nice free holiday. How hard can it be to win a few competitions. So with the long six weeks holidays ahead, I armed myself with puzzle magazines, postcards and stamps and set about entering every competition I could find. That's right - EVERY competition. I think I was even entering competitions to win a life time supply of dog food and I don't even own a dog. I entered thousands a week. I wrote poems, drew pictures, deciphered anagrams, made up punchlines. You name it, I did it!
Then I waited for all the holidays, cars, houses and yes, dog food, to come to me in the post via 'Congratulations' slips.
I waited
I waited some more

Hmmm. I'd really put a lot of effort into those competitions. One thing I did "win" was a heck of a lot of spam. Phone calls, emails, letters etc obviously thinking I was a soft touch and I would buy the product I was previously trying to win.
Phone conversations would go something like this....

"No, I would not like to spend £20,000 on a static caravan in Cornwall. I just wanted a free holiday"

Anyway I'm going off on a tangent....

I finally got that all important Congratulations email.
One win. One win in about 30,000 competitions entered.

I won an invitation film premiere in London

I have to say I was beyond excited. The film sucked but the evening was wonderful. I walked a red carpet and lil ole me got papped! (Not bad to say I'm nobby nobody and was wearing a charity shop dress!) Royalty were in attendance - great night!!!

Which leads me to....
An advert in the Metro Newspaper on my train ride home. It was looking for women to be surrogates.

Mmmm. I might be interested in that.

Here I am two years later, 6 months pregnant with another woman's baby.

Yes, you say, but what about the book?

It was carrying another womans baby that led me to pondering being pregnant and doing it for reasons other than just wanting a baby of your own. I thought some more and a seed of an idea began to form. What if...?

Anais story was born.

I hope you enjoy it!

Love J

No comments:

Post a Comment