Sign up for my newsletter

Monday 27 January 2014

Coming out (part 2)

After having a few comments re my last post talking about my 14 year old niece coming out, I felt compelled to write more on the subject.
I have to admit that it's not something I've ever done but I do remember being fourteen very well (despite how long ago it was) and how difficult it was to tell my parents anything! My mother, for her part, kept trying to drag me out of a closet I was never in. I'm not sure what it was that made her think I was gay but she kept bugging me to admit it. The boyband posters that literally covered my bedroom walls and the slightly soppy look that I got whenever anyone mentioned said boyband, didn't put her off.
It was a very confusing time for me at fourteen. I got 'lesbian' shouted at me a lot from local louts, a slur (in their eyes) that didn't bother me at all but at fourteen, when your mothers at it and the community is at it, well I can only imagine how difficult it must be to take the leap and tell people that you are gay. My mother died before i got married but I still wonder what her reaction would have been to me actually marrying a man. Relief or dissapointment? Probably shock.
I passed Endless Winter to a friend of mine (bisexual in case you were wondering) and he told me he loved the understated coming out scene in it. He told me he'd read so many books on the subject and mine was the first that didn't make a big hoohah about it. So why not?
My main characters just happen to both be girls, they could have been a boy and a girl. I didn't have any kind of issue with it so why should the rest of my characters? That being said, in the subsequent books in the Guardians of The Light books, they will come up against some ignorance. I guess that's life!
Love J

No comments:

Post a Comment